Monday 25 April 2011

iPhone Location data. Really not a big deal?!

Recently, there was some big hoopla about Apple collecting information on the places you visit by storing the locations that you visited on a file on your iPhone or iPad.  (the file name is consolidated.db)  I don’t like being tracked, but I don’t like the fact that people are being oversold on the importance of privacy in this instance.  Are we all just drones following whatever we are told to do, or even told to be aware of?  I do care as we all should that our privacy should remain private, and there are correct ways to do things, if Apple wanted geodata in order to help to improve location services then I don’t see the problem, all they had to do was ask.  Granted they made a mistake in forcefully taking this information from us, but certain media outlets on the internet went ballistic in making assumptions and putting up ‘what if’ scenarios. One of them I read brought up the hypothetical situation, what if someone suspected of a crime had his/her iPhone subpoenaed and the police were to verify or contradict the location of said person.  I would respond that ‘what if’ I stole your phone took it to a crime I committed and blamed you, and brought back your phone without you knowing. I would hope that the police would use more then one piece of circumstantial evidence to take away someone’s freedom, the ‘what if’s’ never stop when you open up that can of worms.  And criminals should get what is coming to them!

My question is, is it really that big of a deal for Apple to have our locations mapped?  What are they going to do, tell my wife I went to Burger King when I said I was at the gym!  Actually, now that I think of it, someone quickly fix this now!!! Okay, I’m just kidding, but I’m sure due to the big fuss we’ll see Apple asking for permission to obtain and collect this data in the future, but in my opinion it wasn’t really that big of a deal.  They were collecting data they didn’t have permission for, it will be fixed, lets move along.   In today’s society we are all trying to play the blame game and make a big corporation look bad.  And they did look bad, what I didn’t like was all the media outlets and some bloggers telling us we were in imminent danger because of this.  We all want to pretend that we are secret agents and people actually care what we are doing.  I’m sorry to tell you it’s just not the case, and nothing will come of it.  But I will turn off my phone the next time I go to Burger King instead of the gym, just in case…

No comments:

Post a Comment